Like many people, you may have neglected to schedule professional A/C maintenance earlier this spring. If so, there’s no time like the present to rectify that omission. Fortunately, you can find professional A/C maintenance for an affordable price. But what exactly does professional A/C maintenance entail?
- Checking your programmable thermostat, and making sure it’s set to maintain the right temperatures to keep you comfortable when you’re at home and save energy when you’re not.
- Tightening all of the electrical connections, and measuring the voltage and current on all motors. If your electrical connections are faulty, they can create a safety hazard, not to mention shorten the A/C system’s service life.
- Lubricating all moving parts. If these parts lack lubrication, it causes friction in the motor and increases how much electricity your equipment has to use.
- Checking/inspecting the central A/C or heat pump’s condensate drain. If the drain is plugged, it can cause water damage in your house and increase indoor humidity levels.
- Checking the cooling system’s controls to make sure it can be operated safely and correctly. The system and all associated equipment should start, run and shut down with no trouble.
- Cleaning the evaporator and condenser coils. Dirty coils restrict the vital heat-exchange process in an A/C or heat pump. This means your system takes longer to cool your home, which increases energy costs and reduces your system’s overall life.
- Checking your central A/C’s refrigerant levels, and fixing them if need be. If your A/C has too much or too little refrigerant, it will operate less efficiently, once again increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
- Check the air filter on your A/C to make sure it’s not clogged and that it’s the correct efficiency level for your home and its unique characteristics. A technician may recommend a more efficient filter, or if air quality is a particular concern in your home, a dedicated purification system.
For the best in professional A/C maintenance, please contact us at Bryans United Air Conditioning. We serve New Orleans, Metairie and other area communities.
Written by Zach Mouton
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com