Regularly maintaining a heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system is recommended by almost all major manufacturers. The mechanical elements of an air conditioner work hard and, like any other machinery, must be tuned up occasionally. The hot, humid environment of the New Orleans, LA area make air conditioners work even harder. The benefits of seasonal air conditioning tune-ups include prolonging the life of the unit, reducing the need for repairs and using less fuel. The result: you save both money and energy.
Preventive Maintenance and Air Conditioning Tune-Ups
The simplest way to keep a heating and air conditioning unit working properly is to clean the air filter regularly. Filters capture dust, debris and other airborne pollutants. Regular cleaning allows air to flow freely through the system. Clogged filters make a unit work harder and may eventually cause a breakdown, necessitating repairs. Most filters can be easily removed, vacuumed or washed and reinstalled. Some, however, cannot be cleaned and must be replaced periodically. Regular cleaning or replacement can lower energy use by up to 15 percent.
Other elements of an HVAC system also need periodic inspection. Bryans United Air Conditioning offers preventive maintenance contracts to ensure that your unit gets check-ups when it is needed. If you would rather schedule a maintenance call without a contract, that is not a problem. Our North American Technician Excellence (NATE) certified technicians do repairs, installation and maintenance on all makes and models of HVAC equipment.
Our air conditioning tune-ups include the following:
- Check and calibrate the thermostat. Cleaning the housing and cover helps maintain the correct temperature. A dirty cover can cause inaccurate temperature readings. If a thermostat is bumped or jarred, it may lose its level, which affects temperature calibration. Even a difference of a few degrees can increase fuel bills by up to 7 percent.
- Check wiring and connections. All connections should be inspected and the voltage measured to ensure that wiring is safe.
- Clean condenser and evaporator coils. Over time coils become dirty, causing the unit to run longer. This results in wear on the system and increases energy usage.
- Oil fans and other moving parts. Poorly lubricated motors increase the amount of energy needed to run the system.
- Check refrigerant levels and make sure there are no leaks in the system. Improper levels of refrigerant decrease efficiency and reduce the life of the unit.
- Inspect drainage conduits. Blocked drains keep condensation from leaving the system and affect indoor humidity. Excess humidity may cause damage to walls and carpets.
- Ensure that the system cycles on and off properly. The heating and air conditioning systems should operate independently of one another. Proper cycling on and off maintains the correct temperature.
About Bryans United Air Conditioning
Bryans Air Conditioning has provided heating and air conditioning services in the greater New Orleans, LA area since 1982. We work with homeowners to understand the unique heating and cooling needs of each residence. We make recommendations for systems that suit your needs and budget.
Our services include:
- 100 percent customer satisfaction
- A+ rating by the New Orleans Better Business Bureau
- All technicians certified by NATE and factory trained
- Emergency service available 7 days a week
- Licensed, insured and bonded
Written by Zach Mouton Owner of Bryans United Air Conditioning. Avid Fisherman, NATE Certified, and New Orleans native.