The oppressive heat and humidity in New Orleans requires near constant operation of the air conditioner, and proper maintenance is critical for extending its operating life, lowering utility bills and providing optimum comfort. While a typical AC life span can reach upward of 12-15 years, new technologies are constantly being developed to conserve energy, which translates to lower energy bills.
Over the course of the life of your cooling system, critical maintenance tasks will ensure fewer breakdowns, lower energy consumption and a higher level of comfort.
- An annual preventive maintenance visit by a qualified technician involves a lengthy checklist to ensure optimum efficiency of all of the components of the system. It’s essential for longevity, efficiency and preventing expensive common AC problems.
- Regular air filter changes protect the interior of the system against dust buildup, which can significantly shorten the air conditioner’s life span. The air filter is also your first defense against poor indoor air quality. Each month, inspect the air filter and replace it when it’s dirty.
When to Repair and When to Replace
Knowing when it’s time to replace the air conditioner can save you a lot of money on repair bills and high energy costs.
- High electric bills signal that it may be time to replace, especially if annual maintenance doesn’t improve the efficiency of the system. Replacing an air conditioner with a seasonal energy efficiency rating, or SEER, of 8 with a SEER 15 system will save you about 47 percent on your energy bills.
- The need for frequent repairs to your system is a major factor in deciding whether to repair or replace. If the system is older than 10 years, replace it with an Energy Star-qualified system to lower energy costs.
- Excessive humidity in the home is a sure sign that you need a new system. An oversized unit or one that operates poorly reduces the indoor air quality and comfort level, and results in high energy costs.
For more advice about maintenance and the life span of your unit, please contact us in the New Orleans area at Bryans United Air Conditioning.
Written by Zach Mouton
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com