One of the greatest joys of being a parent is having the chance to see the day to day experiences through our children’s eyes. Some people think that having kids and home energy savings don’t go together, but your children can be the most enthusiastic conservationists in the family.
Empower them to make choices that are good for the environment. Here are some ideas for ways to teach your kids about how they can help with home energy savings.
- Learn about how electricity is converted from natural resources and distributed. Books and web sites show photographs of power plants.
- Show them different kinds of light bulbs in your home. Discuss the amount of power used and how much light is produced. Make a colorful star chart to keep track of which family members remember to turn off lights in unused rooms.
- For kids who enjoy using the Internet, the U.S. Energy Information Administration and EnergyStar host websites with educational games.
- Let them help you adjust the settings on your programmable thermostat. Explain how lowering the temperature while you are asleep or out of the house uses less electricity. Show your kids how to keep track of the temperature and home energy savings.
- Demonstrate how a ceiling fan can help the room to be more comfortable without using a lot of power for heating or cooling.
If you need more information about how to make your home energy efficient, call us at Bryans United Air Conditioning. Our bonded and insured contractors use state-of-the-art technology to keep homeowners comfortable in Gretna, New Orleans, Luling, Metairie, Hahnville, Marrero, Harvey, St. Rose, and Laplace.
Written by Zach Mouton