Schedule That Air Conditioning Tune Up Now to Beat the Spring Rush
What do you know about an air conditioning tune-up? Did you know it’s important for helping your equipment run cool, clean and efficiently all summer long? Now’s the time to schedule that yearly check, before contractors are all booked up. Having your A/C inspected at the start of the season can prevent you from experiencing a breakdown and needing to sweat it out for a few days before a technician can make the repair.
DIY Air Conditioning Tune-Up
While you should always schedule professional annual maintenance, there are steps you can take between formal visits to keep your air conditioner running smoothly.
- Change the air filter once a month during the summer, including at the very start of the cooling season.
- Cut vegetation back to give the outdoor unit room to breathe. Maintain two feet of space between the outdoor condensing unit and nearby plants.
- Hose down the condenser coils to remove dirt and debris.
- Check the condensate drain for blockages that could prevent condensed water from draining properly.
- Clean the grilles and registers in your home to help maintain proper airflow.
When to Call a Pro
Early spring is the best time to have a technician perform a formal air conditioning tune-up. Special tools and training allow for a thorough job. Expect a technician to perform the following:
- Check the filter and change it if necessary.
- Clean and flush the indoor and outdoor coils.
- Run checks on the capacitors and compressor.
- Check the condensate draining system.
- Vacuum the blower compartments.
- Check the refrigerant charge, fix any leaks that may exist, and adjust the charge if necessary.
- Make sure all mechanical components are working properly and all electrical connections are tight.
When you go to schedule an air conditioning tune-up with a local professional, be wary of prices that are significantly lower than others in town. A low-ball price hardly ever ends up working in your favor. To lower the cost of an air conditioning tune-up, sign up for an agreement with Bryans United Air Conditioning. For more information, please contact our Gretna location today.
Written by Zach Mouton
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com